Benefits of Certification
The QLT certification process is a comprehensive process that includes design support for your course and professional development for you. QLT directly supports student success by systematically improving the design and organization of your course and by giving you the skills and know-how to be a better teacher.
Moreover, QLT certification has many additional concrete benefits such as:
- Official letter of accomplishment for RTP purposes
- Campus-wide recognition in QLT events and on the QLT website
- Eligibility to become a QLT Ambassador
- Opportunities to participate in CSU system-level Quality Assurance programs
- First-to-know access to funding opportunities such as Course Redesign with Technology and Affordable Instructional Materials
- Stipends for completion of full certification
1. Join the QLT community
First, complete the QLT Community sign-up form to join the SF State QLT email listserve. You will receive email updates about upcoming QLT professional development opportunities. You can also commuincate with the QLT community through the listserve.
2. Complete QLT training & workshops
Comprehensive training on how to use the QLT rubric for quality course design and teaching strategies is offered in person on our campus and fully online at the CSU-level.
For those who have already completed QLT training or who have elected to complete certification independently, visit the Resources section of this website to find QLT rubrics, reference materials, and more.
3. Complete a self-review and course revisions
You must complete a QLT Self-review and Revision Planning Document (download Word version) in order to apply for certification. It is recommended that you attend a SF State QLT Self-review Workshop. In this workshop we will get you started on completing the self-review and help you formulate a revision plan.
There are many QLT professional development resources available to you as you work through your course revisions. One option is to self-organize into a departmental cohort. As part of the cohort you will work collaboratively with Mentors, staff, and other cohort members as you build and implement new solutions and improvements.
Another option is to complete your course revisions independently. We encourage you to request individual support from AT's Teaching and Learning with Technology team as needed.
4. Apply for certification
5. Confirm verification and peer review
Your course will then be anonymously reviewed by our trained peer reviewers. Applicants will receive the results of the peer review and verification process by email.
6. Award of certification and recognition
Successful applicants will receive official documentation of their course certification and be recognized at AT events.